The student news site of Dartmouth High School

The Spectrum

Filed under News, Showcase

Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

27th February 1937:  Two Preston North End players leave the pitch at half-time covered in mud, during a match against Charlton Athletic at 'The Valley'.  (Photo by J. A. Hampton/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

27th February 1937: Two Preston North End players leave the pitch at half-time covered in mud, during a match against Charlton Athletic at 'The Valley'. (Photo by J. A. Hampton/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Big plans are being set for the Dartmouth Memorial Stadium in the next year or two. The town is planning to renovate the stadium where football, soccer, and other sports are played. It will cost around $1.4 million.

The town is looking to replace the stadium lights that have been there for over 40 years, put in turf fields, and renovate the stadium bleachers.

Senior soccer player Jordan Pacheco said, “Our lights at the stadium are awful and make it hard to see during night games.”

The renovations of the stadium bleachers are going to be minor but efficient. They will be repairing the rails and fixing up the holes that are located throughout the bleachers. However, they will be keeping the historic look to the bleachers that has been there for many years.

DHS players and coaches couldn’t be more excited about the news of the new fields. Players have only dreamed of playing on home turf after playing on bumpy dirt fields for many years.

Sophomore soccer player Dylan Senra and senior football player Luke Clarke both said they prefer to play on turf over grass. During rainy games they both still prefer turf. Clarke explained that the players don’t have “good footing”  because of the mud getting stuck in their cleats.

Players have even twisted their ankles in the hidden ditches of the field. Senra said, “Playing on grass has caused injuries in the past season such as sprained ankles and shin splints.”

Alumni Andrew Martinez and Benjamin Silvia recall always having to get their ankles taped prior to games to prevent injuries.

When our teams travel to other schools they play on new fields with new sound systems, new lights, and new turf fields that are nice to play on. Other schools in the area all have turf and renovated fields. Just this past year New Bedford Voc-Tech  did their renovations. New Bedford HS has had a renovated stadium for a few years now.

1 Comment

One Response to “Memorial Stadium set to be renovated”

1. Anthony on April 28th, 2017 1:35 pm

I actually prefer the grass fields. Turf is really hard and you always get lots of the rubber in your cleats and equipment.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Kettle Logic

Kettle Logic

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

News

School Choice debate

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

News

Transition: A conversation with new principal Ross Thibault

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Opinion

Cellphones in the Classroom Part II: Teacher Point of View

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Opinion

King Arthur: More heavy metal than words

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Kettle Logic

Kettle Logic

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

News

AP classes: Are they worth it?

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Showcase

Spring is here and so is the dress code argument

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Opinion

Cell phones are a crucial tool for today’s students

• Memorial Stadium set to be renovated

Kettle Logic

Kettle Logic

Memorial Stadium set to be renovated